Gallery

Vampire Lord

v4front_blogv4side_blogv4rear_blog

For your viewing pleasure, here are some renders of my latest sculpt. I’ve always harboured a vague desire to paint a vampire but somehow never come across one that has been quite what I was looking for. So I thought I’d have a go at making my own!

As with my Dragon Maiden I’ve aimed to work in a similar scale to the Warhammer range, although this guy is a fair bit bigger than she is. (32 mm to the eye rather than 30, and considerably more bulky!)

As usual I’ve tried to exaggerate all the details enough so that they will print well and be enjoyable to paint. This is actually version 2 of the vampire lord, after I discovered that amongst other things I’d made the fangs far too small in the original and they were basically invisible in the print. Fingers crossed I got it right this time…

I’ve tried to convey a sense that this guy has been around for a good few years with the slightly shabby chainmail and cape, but I also intend to add some more signs of wear with paint. This is now on order from Shapeways so if it prints nicely then I hope to be able to share a painted version in a few weeks!

Advertisements
Gallery

Skeletons

Skeletons1Skeletons2Skeletons3Skeletons4More of the 15 mm miniatures I’ve sculpted for myself – some baddies this time! There is a vague plan to play some games with these when I’ve got enough of them. I’m thinking something like Song of Blades and Heroes or maybe Open Combat (although I don’t believe this covers fantasy particularly well at the moment). But I will also need to sort out some terrain before then.

I sculpted the skeleton with the scythe first (an obvious nod to Heroquest) and after a successful test print I created the other four. It was here that one of the big advantages of digital sculpting became apparent, as it was a simple matter to just rearrange the parts I’d already made. Apart from modifying the skulls (a few missing teeth, a big hole in one of them) I just had to make some new equipment and call it done.

I abandoned any thoughts of getting miniatures cast in the interval between the ‘Heroquest’ skeleton and the others, so it freed me up to pose them however I liked. I’m really pleased with the arrows on the two skeletons with bows. The shafts are right on the design limit for thickness in Shapeways B-HDA material so I was a bit concerned about how they’d print but they came out great.

I’ve made a decision to use non metallic metal throughout all my 15 mm miniatures but I avoided the super shiny look here and tried to make the weapons look a bit more weathered. Very quick to paint these though – I got all 5 done in a single day which is unheard of for me!

 

Colours used:

Bone

Basecoat: yellowed bone (reaper), wash with agrax earthshade (gw)

Shade deepest recesses with rhinox hide (gw) and black

Highlight with creamy ivory (reaper) and white

Metal

Basecoat: cloudy grey (reaper)

Highlight: 1:1 rainy grey (reaper)/white with a touch of temple guard blue (gw), then add more white up to pure white

Shade: cloudy grey and dark flesh (gw), add black

Wood

Basecoat: khemri brown (gw)

Wash with desert yellow (gw) and black mix, deepest recesses with thinned black

Highlight with kommando khaki (gw) then creamy ivory (reaper)