I’ve had the blood angels chaplain in my “future projects” pile for years, but with the advent of primaris space marines it became clear to me that if I didn’t get off my backside and make the chaplain a current project pretty soon then he’d probably never get painted!
I’ve been sharing some work in progress on instagram (nicholas.gareth), but here he is in all his finished glory.
If you’d like to know every detail about how I painted this miniature then you can purchase a painting guide here. I’ve used pretty much the same paints and techniques that I used when I painted my slayer sword winning blood angels diorama, so if you’d like some more insight into how that piece was created then this guide is for you!
The chaplain is also for sale, so please contact me if you’re interested in adding him to your collection. Sold, sorry!
The new 40k box set Dark Imperium has been out for quite a while now, so it was high time I painted one of those shiny new primaris space marines…
This will be my last painting commission for the foreseeable future, so it was great to be given a very open brief to work with. After a small experiment with painting white armour on my version of Drazhar, I was keen to paint a whole mini in this style. The lieutenant is my favourite miniature from the new starter set, so after a little visit to ebay I was all set.
I bought a few Warcolours paints (specifically the blue grey set) after seeing various painters raving about them, and this seemed like an ideal opportunity to try them out. They have a gel medium and are certainly a bit different to work with than my customary citadel or reaper paints. The drying time is noticeably slower, which does make blending easier and suits my painting style. It did catch me out a few times when glazing though – I’d return to an area I’d glazed only to find that it hadn’t dried fully and end up messing up the previous application. I got the hang of it eventually!
I’ll be picking up more Warcolours paints in the future as and when I need to replace existing supplies. I really like the bottles they come in too! I’m not sure I’d buy another full set like the blue grey set though – I found the tones too close together for my painting style and ended up only using blue grey 1 and blue grey 5 plus black and white on this miniature (although this was also partly to avoid making the white armour too blue). In future I think I’d be tempted to buy the lightest and the darkest for each colour, plus the tone with the greatest colour saturation.
The base coat was 1:1 blue grey 1 and white. I tried airbrushing it but I pretty much suck with an airbrush and I didn’t feel the paint was going down very smoothly because I got the consistency wrong so I switched to a good old massive brush to finish the job.
After that I just applied my standard techniques, highlighting with more white and shading with the darkest blue grey shade. I used 1:1 blue grey 5 and black in the deepest recesses.
I wanted to go with true metallics rather than nmm for the details but I thought the sword blade would work better with nmm so I painted everything else in this style. Overall I’m quite pleased with how this mini turned out, as I was definitely concerned about how well the white armour would come out!
Every good performance deserves an encore, right? I was really pleased to be asked to paint this commission in the same style as my Blood Angels diorama (right down to the base).
There were plenty of opportunities for freehand with the parts that were chosen. I took inspiration for the loin cloth from the art on the cover of an old blood angels codex. It’s difficult to make out on the pictures but there is texturing on both this and the banner. The design on the right shoulder pad was adapted from space hulk.
I filled the indented crosses on the knees since neither I or the client were particularly keen on them, and it provided the opportunity to get a squad marking on the left knee.
Full non metallic metal was requested for this one, and I’m quite pleased with the result I achieved on the gold trim. I also experimented with a slightly different approach on the power sword, but the position of the power node thing is further down the blade than I’d like, which I found a little restrictive in terms of the effects I could employ.
My next painting project will be another commission – a dark elder archon this time. In the background I’m continuing to work on my sculpting too, focussing on 30 mm scale miniatures at the moment.
This was a fun little project that I painted as a gift for a friend.
Sculpted by Darren Latham for the Burning of Prospero box, Geigor Fell-Hand is my first ever Space Wolf (only taken me 24 years to get round to it!). Loads of cool details on this: wolf pelts, armour trim, plenty of weapons, gems… I particularly enjoyed painting the face for some reason – I don’t recall ever painting a mini with sculpted eyebrows before, but it was great!
I aimed for a fairly ‘Eavy Metal style with true metallics and lots of edge highlighting. I believe that technically heresy era Space Wolves are supposed to have a neutral grey armour but I wanted to paint it closer to the 40k scheme, so I ended up with a kind of halfway house with a bluish grey. I took inspiration from an old ‘Eavy Metal masterclass by Neil Green and went with red hair and yellow trim rather than the blond and red from the box art.
I added some damage to armour in the places where it was most likely to occur: more on the front than the back and plenty around the lightning claw and the bottom of the boots. Not many opportunities for freehand on this mini, but I was at least able to paint his name onto the claw!