I haven’t had a huge amount of exciting hobby activity to report recently, but I’m quietly working away on various projects. Here’s a brief update on the state of play painting-wise at the moment. Definitely a Chaotic theme going on at the moment!
I’m still grinding my way through the Storm of Sigmar miniatures, trying to keep myself to a few hours per mini and live with the inevitable imperfections. I’ve now turned my attention to the Chaos side of the box and I’ve got the 5 bloodreavers finished.
Obviously keeping things very simple here. I’ve gone for a cold green armour and shaded the flesh with some purple added to the mix as a complementary colour. I would have liked to get some more warm spot colours in there but there’s not a huge amount of scope for it on these very simple miniatures and I wanted to keep things simple and fast, so I limited myself to the hair on the heads that the leader is carrying. He obviously has a hatred of red heads!
I may go back and add some gore to the weapons once I’ve got the blood warriors painted.
I’ve been itching to get back into some higher end painting again recently, so I’ve also started work on a Varanguard that I received from painting legend and all round top bloke Max Faleij. This will take quite a lot longer than the Storm of Sigmar miniatures!
Not a huge amount of progress so far. I’ve partially assembled it, got a vague idea of where the base is going and made a start on the painting.
I airbrushed a basecoat of Vallejo squid pink desaturated with light grey and white from underneath and a 1:1 mix of incubi darkness and kabalite green from above then cracked out the paintbrushes.
The flesh was shaded with a mix of vmc magenta heavily desaturated with cloudy grey and then a violet, black red and black mix for the deepest recesses. Then I highlighted with white and a tiny amount of squid pink mixed in. I’m thinking I’ll go back later and maybe add some veins or other markings for interest, plus glaze some more colour around the mouth and tail.
For the armour I’ve been highlighting with a 1:1 mix of baharroth blue and sybarite green, then with white added. I shaded with a mix of incubi darkness and black and glazed with kabalite green but it still needs more work. I plan on putting in some reflections from the lava that will be on the base too.
I’ve just started painting the black trim. I intend to use true metallic on this piece but I wanted to avoid making all the trim metallic as I prefer to use these paints sparingly.
That’s it for now!